Kite flying is part of many Indian festivals and rituals in India. But nowadays, with cities getting congested and very few open places to go to, people who fly kites all around the year are doing it nearby busy roads and local streets.
The recreational activity becomes dangerous when kite flyers use special kind of string (also called majha, in Hindi) to make it stronger. In a cultural city like Lucknow, people are committed towards kite flying but in order to be competitive amongst peers, young kids sometimes even add thin, strong metal wires with normal string for flying kites.
One of the bikers, Prakhar Kankan became an unfortunate victim of this dangerous local custom recently. Prakhar was travelling on a busy 4-lane road of Hanuman Setu near Lucknow University, when without warning out of nowhere, a string got stuck in his neck.
He luckily survived without any life threatening injury, but the sharp string left a deep cut in his neck. He has posted a video on his Facebook profile, which shows the extent of his injury.
PS: Video has some strong graphics.
Deep cut by “manjha” which got stuck on my neck while riding motorcycle at Hanumaan Setu…
Posted by Prakhar Kankan on Sunday, 4 October 2015
Prakhar’s sister has advised all the riders to wear a scarf or stole around the neck, which could minimise the damage and might save your life in a similar situation.
Have you ever thought of wearing a protective layer around your neck while riding before?
Cover Image: theglobeandmail.com